atom feed145 messages in edu.ku.nhm.mailman.taxacomRe: [Taxacom] Does the species name h...
FromSent OnAttachments
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 11:18 am
Quicke, Donald L JJun 18, 2012 11:45 am
Frederick W. SchuelerJun 18, 2012 11:57 am
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 12:51 pm
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 12:51 pm
Karen CranstonJun 18, 2012 1:09 pm
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 1:25 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 1:35 pm
Chris ThompsonJun 18, 2012 2:28 pm
Roger BurksJun 18, 2012 2:30 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 2:42 pm
Doug YanegaJun 18, 2012 2:55 pm
Vladimir GusarovJun 18, 2012 2:57 pm
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 3:02 pm
Neal EvenhuisJun 18, 2012 3:11 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 3:14 pm
David CampbellJun 18, 2012 3:17 pm
Doug YanegaJun 18, 2012 3:23 pm
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 3:34 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 3:48 pm
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 3:51 pm
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 3:58 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 3:58 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 4:07 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 4:20 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 4:52 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 4:53 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 4:56 pm
Bob MesibovJun 18, 2012 5:04 pm
Chris ThompsonJun 18, 2012 5:32 pm
James K AdamsJun 18, 2012 6:58 pm
114 later messages
Subject:Re: [Taxacom] Does the species name have to change when it moves genus?
From:Karen Cranston (kare@gmail.com)
Date:Jun 18, 2012 1:09:01 pm
List:edu.ku.nhm.mailman.taxacom

In terms of making automated global databases, it's definitely an issue. But who
actually needs them? I know that that might sound like heresy, but please tell
us who needs those names who is not already an expert or know/be-in-contact-with
an expert.

*Raises hand* At NESCent, I see many examples of scientists (evolutionary biologists, paleontologists, ecologists...) collecting trait data in spreadsheets / databases, often broadly across biodiversity. One of the critical steps is resolving taxonomic names from the literature. There aren't good global resources for doing this (and instability of names is one, but not the only, reason why), so most of our groups develop their own solutions. It is a huge waste of effort for non-taxonomists to re-invent this wheel over and over again.

Cheers, Karen

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ kare@gmail.com National Evolutionary Synthesis Center ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~