atom feed145 messages in edu.ku.nhm.mailman.taxacomRe: [Taxacom] Does the species name h...
FromSent OnAttachments
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 11:18 am
Quicke, Donald L JJun 18, 2012 11:45 am
Frederick W. SchuelerJun 18, 2012 11:57 am
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 12:51 pm
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 12:51 pm
Karen CranstonJun 18, 2012 1:09 pm
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 1:25 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 1:35 pm
Chris ThompsonJun 18, 2012 2:28 pm
Roger BurksJun 18, 2012 2:30 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 2:42 pm
Doug YanegaJun 18, 2012 2:55 pm
Vladimir GusarovJun 18, 2012 2:57 pm
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 3:02 pm
Neal EvenhuisJun 18, 2012 3:11 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 3:14 pm
David CampbellJun 18, 2012 3:17 pm
Doug YanegaJun 18, 2012 3:23 pm
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 3:34 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 3:48 pm
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 3:51 pm
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 3:58 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 3:58 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 4:07 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 4:20 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 4:52 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 4:53 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 4:56 pm
Bob MesibovJun 18, 2012 5:04 pm
Chris ThompsonJun 18, 2012 5:32 pm
James K AdamsJun 18, 2012 6:58 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 7:01 pm
brpa...@dwu.eduJun 18, 2012 7:02 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 7:07 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 7:09 pm
Tony...@csiro.auJun 18, 2012 7:17 pm
Bob MesibovJun 18, 2012 8:46 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 9:01 pm
Anne EdwardsJun 18, 2012 9:29 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 9:48 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 19, 2012 12:04 am
Paul KirkJun 19, 2012 12:04 am
Richard PyleJun 19, 2012 12:05 am
102 later messages
Subject:Re: [Taxacom] Does the species name have to change when it moves genus?
From:Doug Yanega (dyan@ucr.edu)
Date:Jun 18, 2012 3:23:58 pm
List:edu.ku.nhm.mailman.taxacom

It's more than changing endings, it's changing the genus in the first place that I object to. It's all very well naming things, but to change the names subsequently seems unjustified.

That depends on whether it's arbitrary or uninformative. I know cases of bees described in the genus Vespa, and wasps described in the genus Apis - surely, it's highly worthwhile to have the present-day name reflect more accurate placements! Conversely, we presently have occasional trash taxonomists who arbitrarily place every species into its own genus solely to boost their own egos - not merely unjustified, but egregiously unscientific. Change in the former case is good, while the latter is bad. You can't generalize. However, this much CAN be said: if your objection is to the latter scenario, where self-publishing hacks are flooding the literature with new generic names that are garbage, then there are countermeasures the taxonomic community can take BESIDES fixing names as invariant.

Peace,

--

Doug Yanega Dept. of Entomology Entomology Research Museum Univ. of California, Riverside, CA 92521-0314 skype: dyanega phone: (951) 827-4315 (standard disclaimer: opinions are mine, not UCR's) http://cache.ucr.edu/~heraty/yanega.html "There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method" - Herman Melville, Moby Dick, Chap. 82