atom feed145 messages in edu.ku.nhm.mailman.taxacomRe: [Taxacom] Does the species name h...
FromSent OnAttachments
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 11:18 am
Quicke, Donald L JJun 18, 2012 11:45 am
Frederick W. SchuelerJun 18, 2012 11:57 am
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 12:51 pm
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 12:51 pm
Karen CranstonJun 18, 2012 1:09 pm
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 1:25 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 1:35 pm
Chris ThompsonJun 18, 2012 2:28 pm
Roger BurksJun 18, 2012 2:30 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 2:42 pm
Doug YanegaJun 18, 2012 2:55 pm
Vladimir GusarovJun 18, 2012 2:57 pm
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 3:02 pm
Neal EvenhuisJun 18, 2012 3:11 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 3:14 pm
David CampbellJun 18, 2012 3:17 pm
Doug YanegaJun 18, 2012 3:23 pm
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 3:34 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 3:48 pm
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 3:51 pm
Roderic PageJun 18, 2012 3:58 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 3:58 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 4:07 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 4:20 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 4:52 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 4:53 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 4:56 pm
Bob MesibovJun 18, 2012 5:04 pm
Chris ThompsonJun 18, 2012 5:32 pm
James K AdamsJun 18, 2012 6:58 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 7:01 pm
brpa...@dwu.eduJun 18, 2012 7:02 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 7:07 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 7:09 pm
Tony...@csiro.auJun 18, 2012 7:17 pm
Bob MesibovJun 18, 2012 8:46 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 9:01 pm
Anne EdwardsJun 18, 2012 9:29 pm
Stephen ThorpeJun 18, 2012 9:48 pm
105 later messages
Subject:Re: [Taxacom] Does the species name have to change when it movesgenus?
From:Neal Evenhuis (nea@bishopmuseum.org)
Date:Jun 18, 2012 3:11:33 pm
List:edu.ku.nhm.mailman.taxacom

Chris tends to exaggerate here when making a point. The LSID for that species
(which he misspelled) [the species is exiguaspina] is:

B26AB2A6-972F-4A18-9D1D-486A980CF80F

... but he wanted to make it look silly by also adding the LSID for each author,
which is absolutely unnecessary but a nice trick to do when making a point. The
LSID for the species name INCLUDES the authors so as to disambiguate that name
from any other one with that spelling published in that genus on that date by
those authors on that page. Without an LSID, two names with the same spelling
published by an author or authors in the same work would look like X-us a-us
Smith, 1850 but we could not know that there were TWO different species with
that same name in that work. Entering the computer age and using LSIDs allows us
to disambiguate those names.

Moreover, to criticize unique identifiers such is this is disingenuous since we
all live in a world with unique numbers identifying us - and few complain.
Globally, we are known by our passport number, so this is really the same as an
LSID for humans (as Chris knows, some have two passports but that is a different
story!). Those without passport numbers are essentially the same as species that
have not been registered with ZooBank. Those people are known to a small group
of people (either by taxpayer ID, driver's license number, a bank account
number, etc.) but not necessarily everyone in the world can know that person
uniquely separated from everyone else. As soon as everyone on the planet gets a
globally unique identifying number can we really be known to everyone and not be
confused with someone else. The same with species. Once every species has an
LSID can we be assured we can separate it from everything else and especially
those with the same name.

Gotta get back to my ms. I'm naming something after Chris...

-Neal

On 6/18/12 11:28 AM, "Chris Thompson"
<xela@cox.net<mailto:xela@cox.net>> scribbled the following tidbit:

B26AB2A6-972F-4A18-9D1D-486A980CF80F E9541A64-EC44-4856-B2AB-B4E8400358F8 & 1FDB5781-C8A0-4088-8D18-DCD5BB01C548 for our unique name! [or in the old fashion system, Rhopalopsole exigupspira Du & Qian]

________________________________ This message is only intended for the addressee named above. Its contents may be
privileged or otherwise protected. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or copying
of this message or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this message
by mistake, please notify us immediately by reply mail or by collect telephone
call. Any personal opinions expressed in this message do not necessarily
represent the views of the Bishop Museum.